Welcome to Buckden’s Friends in Deed
and the Community Café
Changes to Friends in Deed activities during social distancing (Covid-19)
The Covid-19 pandemic is affecting all our lives at the moment. We must all follow the government advice and guidelines which means that the Community Cafe and Friends in Deed visiting activities are on hold for the time being. This is especially relevant as the majority of our Friends in Deed volunteers, as well as clients, are of an age where they are particularly vulnerable.
Nevertheless, Friends in Deed is still very much alive and kicking but in a modified form.
- We are working with the Parish Council in delivering their Volunteer Support initiative for the village; picking up enquiries from village residents who are looking for help with prescription collection and delivery, providing someone to talk to or doing essential shopping.
- Our visitors are maintaining phone contact with those they would normally visit. Whilst we cannot provide social activities or visits, we can still provide support over the phone and can try to point you in the right direction for the help you need.
- The transport service is still up and running and our drivers are able to collect pre-ordered pre-paid shopping (click and collect) if this is something you require.
Friends in Deed are here to help:
There are times in our lives when we could all do with a little extra friendship, support or companionship whatever our age or circumstance.
Friends in Deed can provide:-
- Someone to talk to
- Home visits
- Help with form-filling
- Signposting to agencies such as debt agencies, citizen’s advice and Foodbank
- or just a cuppa and a chat
This is a free service
The Community Café is open to all regardless of age, gender, faith (or no faith), sexual orientation, ethnicity or beliefs. It runs on the 2nd Wednesday of each month 2.30pm – 4pm in the Living Stones Room at St Mary’s Church Buckden. Come along for help and support (if you need it) or just drop in for a cuppa, cake and a chat.
Everyone is welcome.
Here for everyone:
There are times in our lives when we could all do with a little extra friendship, support or companionship whatever our age or circumstance. It is not easy to ask for help but why struggle when there are people happy to listen and to help? When we keep things to ourselves and struggle on, things can feel overwhelming. A little bit of help can make a big difference.
If you live in Buckden, Friends in Deed can arrange for someone to visit you at home either as a one-off or on an ongoing basis. There is no charge for these home visits. You are also welcome to join us at the monthly Community Café, just turn up.
If you do need a little extra friendship or help please call our visits co-ordinator, Angie, on 07810 006598 or join us at the Community Café.
We can provide local transport when family, friends and public transport are not available. There are fixed return charges of £2 within Buckden, £2.50 to Brampton and £3 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital. Other journeys are charged at 30p per mile.
Please call our transport co-ordinator, Peter, on 07914 669967 and leave a message. Please give us as much notice as possible so that we can arrange a driver for you. Speak clearly and leave your name, address, number and details of your request. The driver will then contact you to arrange a pick-up time. Please note that we do not provide transport to Buckden Surgery as they have their own driver scheme.